Adding a PowerPoint Presentation to your Blackboard Course
If you wish to add a PowerPoint presentation to your Blackboard course and it is smaller than 25MB in size, you can add it by using the Built Content menu and selecting File from the dropdown menu. You can upload the PowerPoint file to your Course Files and use Browse Course to locate the file, or upload it from your computer directly into your content area using the Browse My Computer button.
Blackboard cannot accept uploads of files larger than 25MB at one time.
In order to post any PowerPoint presentation that is larger than 25MB to your Blackboard course, it must either be located on the Western Media server or posted on the SlideShare presentation sharing site.
You can sign up for an account on the SlideShare site for free. You can also make your SlideShare presentations private if you wish to, so that only individuals who have the URL for each presentation can view it.
To have your PowerPoint presentation uploaded to the Western Media server instead, please contact Video Services.
To add a PowerPoint presentation that is on SlideShare:
- Select the Build Content button and then select SlideShare Presentation from the Mashups list, on the right hand side of the dropdown menu.
- Next to Search Type, select Specific Presentation (URL) from the dropdown menu. Then type or paste in the URL for your SlideShare presentation. If you don't have the URL for your presentation, you will need to get it from the SlideShare site.
- You will see a list of results of your search.
- You may preview any presentation by using the Preview link below the presentation thumbnail (on the left hand side of the results list). Once you have found the one you want, click Select to place it into the Create Mashup Item dialog box.
- In the Create Mashup Item dialog box, you may change the Name of the presentation (which defaults to the presentation name on SlideShare), and modify its settings. Like other Blackboard content, you can choose date and time restrictions and track the number of times students view the presentation.
- When you have set everything the way you want it to appear, click Submit. You can go back later and make edits to the settings as well.
To add a PowerPoint file that has been uploaded to the Western Media server:
- Obtain the URL for your PowerPoint presentation from Video Services. It should be in the form http://media.wwu.edu/...
- Select the Build Content button and then select URL from the drop down.
- Type a name for your video into the Name field.
- Paste the URL that you received from Video Services into the URL field.
- Add any descriptive text that you wish to appear below the presentation in the Text field. You can post images into this text area by using the buttons in the Text Editor if you have the Text Editor set to the ON position.
- Below the Text field, you may attach any other type of file, such as a PDF or Word document, by using the Browse My Computer button below the Attachments section of the screen.
- As with other kinds of Blackboard content, in the Options area, you can set date and time restrictions or track the number of views the presentation receives. Most importantly, you will want to set the Open in New Window option to Yes.
[11-14-11 ATUS Blackboard Technical Support]