Appropriate Gradebook Use
How To (and how not to) Provide Your Students with Restricted Grade Access
BlackBoard has an online grade book that allows you to manage individual assignment scores, calculate final grades and immediately provide student access to this information. Students will appreciate the ability to monitor their progress and verify that their grade records are accurate.
Advantages of Using the BlackBoard Online Grade Book
- Integration with the digital assignment submission feature, discussion boards, wiki based group projects and blog based journaling assignments.
- Scantron test results can be uploaded into your grade book automatically with the Grade Book Builder Tool.
- Student grades are protected by their password and only they can view their grades
- You can create backup copies of your grade book in Excel format as often as you like
- Grades can be weighted and are automatically calculated into cumulative scores
- Teachers Assistants can be given controlled access to your grade book for entering scores
- Do not use Blackboard to post spreadsheets of student grades that include student names or W numbers.
Information on Washington State regulations surrounding the release of student grades is available here.
For additional assistance contact the ATUS Instructional Designer Peter Agras at 360-650-4159