Steps for getting your Blackberry device activated with our Blackberry Enterprise Server:
1. Data Plan: Verify that your device has a "Blackberry Enterprise Data Plan" from the mobile carrier (Verizon, T-mobile, etc.) before trying to activate. Without the correct data plan the device will not Enterprise Activate. Note that a Blackberry Enterprise Data Plan is an upgrade from the normal personal data plan that would normally be sold with a handheld device, and must be specifically requested from the mobile carrier.
2. BES Account: (Note: If you have previously been using a Blackberry with the campus Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES), you already have a BES account and you can skip this step.) If you are trying to setup your Blackberry for the first time with our BES, you will need to submit a request to have a WWU BES account and activation password set-up. You will also need to provide a departmental budget code to bill the license fee or will need to pay Telecommunications via the University Cashier's office and provide the receipt prior to account set-up.
3. Wireless Coverage: Verify that your handheld wireless radio is on and that you are in an area of wireless coverage. Then:
1. Select Options from the main screen
2. Select Advanced Options
3. Select Enterprise Activation
4. Enter your full WWU e-mail address [email@example.com] in the email address field and telecom in the password field.
5. Select the menu key and choose activate
Once the BES contacts the device and successfully authenticates the email address and activation password you should see "Verifying Encryption Keys, Encryption Keys Verified" as the activation process starts. When activation is complete and all components are synched you will see "Activation Complete".
If you get error messages during this process, please reboot the device and try Step 3 again. To reboot a Blackberry: Remove the battery for at least 5 seconds and re-insert.
If the process still does not complete properly, please contact the ATUS Help Desk.
If you would like your emails to delete bi-directionally (if deleted on the BB then they automatically are removed from Outlook and vice-versa) follow the next steps:
1. Go back to the main screen and select the Messages
2. Select the menu key and choose Options
3. Select Email Reconciliation
4. Set the "Delete On" field to Mailbox and Handheld