Using Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop allows you to remotely control and access your office computer from another computer. Once you have configured your own office computer to allow this access, then you can access it directly from any classroom or computer lab computer, or your home computer.
Configure your office computer for remote access
- Right-click on My Computer on your desktop and select Properties
Select start button and right click on My Computer and select Properties
- Select the Remote tab and check Allow users to connect remotely to this computer
Find the Full Computer Name of your office computer
This works for standard "domained" computers on the wwu domain.
- Right-click on My Computer either from the desktop or on the start menu by selecting the start button
- Select Properties
- Select the Computer Name tab
- Note the Full computer name. If it does not end in univ.dir.wwu.edu you may need to use IP address instead. Please contact your support person to domain your computer.
Optional - Find the IP Address of your computer
Note that IP addresses can change, whereas your full computer name, if properly domained, does not.
- Right-click on My Network Places from the desktop (or on the start menu by selecting the start button)
- Select Properties
- Double-click Local Area Connection.
- Click the Support tab.
Your IP address will be noted here. Write it down.
Making the Remote Desktop Connection
- If you're at home you will need to establish a VPN connection before attempting the Remote Desktop Connection.
- On a classroom or lab computer: Open the Software Applications folder on the desktop and select the Remote Desktop Connection icon.
on your home computer Remote Desktop can usually be found
by selecting start button, All Programs, Accessories, and Remote Desktop Connection
- In the Computer text box, type the Full Computer Name for your office computer (or IP address)
- Select the Options>> button
- Select the Experience tab
- Select LAN (10 Mbps or higher) from the drop down
- Select Connect
- Sign into your remote computer as normal
- When your session is complete, log off the remote computer.
- If you're working from home, disconnect your VPN connection by right-clicking the lock icon in the taskbar and selecting Disconnect.