ATUS staff can help you to find resources and help to determine if you have materials that need copyright release for use with your course. We work with Western’s library staff on copyright issues.
- The library has a copyright information for course reserves page for further information.
- Western Washington University Copyright services web page has more information on guidelines and policies.
Some useful links dealing with copyright issues are as follows:
- American Association of Publishers resources page.
- Articles on Copyright and Fair Use, Stanford University Libraries
- The Center for Intellectual Property and Copyright in the Digital Environment provides resources and information for the higher education community in the areas of intellectual property, copyright, and the emerging digital environment.
- Common Scenarios Involving Fair-Use Issues offers informative, illustrative scenarios exploring various uses of copyrighted materials under the fair-use provisions.
- Copyown: A resource on copyright ownership for the higher education community
- Copyright Management Center at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. An excellent site with clear explanations of fair use and the TEACH act, sample permissions request forms, and illustrative scenarios.
- Copyright Policy and Safe-Harbor Practices at Carnegie-Mellon
- National Education Association's annotated links to resources.
- Regents' Guide to Understanding Copyright & Educational Fair Use, University System of Georgia. Contains examples illustrating the application of fair use.
- The TEACH Toolkit. A comprehensive review of the TEACH Act. Contains clear explanations of the expanded rights under the TEACH Act, as well as the conditions and restrictions created by the Act. Also contains checklists and guidelines for ensuring compliance with the Act.
- University of Texas System: Intellectual Property Georgia Harper's well-known and well-respected information on copyright.
- U.S. Copyright Office
- U.S. Copyright Office Report on Copyright and Distance Education.