The Druzea Club was formed in
Washington in 1937 in the home of Mrs.
Maude Fischer with the express purpose of facilitating mental improvement and
social enjoyment for its members. In
1938 the club joined the Washington State Federation of Women’s Clubs and
enjoyed a long association with this umbrella organization.
Druzea is a Russian word meaning ‘friendship’ which was to
be the root of the Druzea Club’s purpose in the local and regional communities. The club was active in a number of service
projects which included aiding needy families during the holidays, collecting
magazines for monthly drop-off at the Juvenile Detention quarters of the Court
House, sponsoring a rural school through the Save the Children Federation,
assisting in the restoration of the Whatcom
Museum as well as engaging in war service
projects during World War II.
Library service was also one of the main focuses of the
Druzea Club, which took an active role in the formation of Friends of the
Bellingham Public Library in October 1952.
The club dedicated hundreds of volunteer hours to the Friends’ annual
used book sale in support of the library.
The club was also involved in the establishment of a library at Pt. Roberts
by furnishing books and magazines to the local community. This action was recorded in the history of
the Washington State Libraries which listed the club as the founder of the Pt.
The Druzea Club was active as well in supporting State and
General Federation of Women’s Clubs projects and also gave financial assistance
to the Heart, Cancer, and Polio funds, the local food bank, the Indian Youth
Mission, the Home for Abused Women and the Salvation Army. The club also acted as a leadership training
ground in that five of its members eventually became Federation of Women’s Clubs
district presidents, three were general chairman to the state convention when
it was held in Bellingham, and several members went on to become state officers
and department chairs. This connection with the
Federation was cherished by club members and fortified their resolve to continue
actively supporting their local and regional communities. The club
celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 1987 and has since disbanded.